Caitlin Dechelle, Karate World Champion, Pro Stuntwoman and Actress is our brand ambassador for CENTURY Martial Arts!
If you’ve seen any of these, or any of several dozen other titles, you’ve seen some of Caitlin Dechelle’s work – but you might not have realized it!
Caitlin is a stunt woman (as well as a talented actress!), and in these titles, she’s behind some of the most complex and intense action scenes. Caitlin’s Hollywood-level skills come from a lifetime of training, which started with a martial arts class when she was just 6.
“My grandpa suggested martial arts at a young age for self-defense, and my parents found a karate school,” Caitlin explains. “I fell in love with it and the rest is history!”
It definitely is, and her grandfather was right – although he probably didn’t realize Caitlin would use those self-defense skills to save the world (on screen, anyway)!
1. Where are you from/where did you grow up?
I was born in Miami, Florida, and I currently reside in Los Angeles, California – when I’m not traveling for work!
2. What were your initial impressions of martial arts?
I was 6 years old when I started, so I don’t remember many of the specific details. But I do remember that was lots of fun! There was always something to learn: a new form, a new trick, a new kick, a new weapon. I was hooked!
3. What experience in your martial arts journey has meant the most to you?
Spending time with my dad. He was by my side from my first martial arts class to my last tournament before I retired. I have learned so much from him over the years and the time we got to spend traveling together is priceless. I definitely got my competitiveness and drive from him, which is something I’m thankful for. It helps me in everything I do!
4. What does a normal day of training look like to you?
My training now is a bit different: I’m not competing anymore, but I’ve taken my skills into the entertainment industry. Stunt work has been such a fun experience and the best part is that I can still do what I love – martial arts. Training mostly includes going to the gym, so I can stay in tip-top shape for the next job. But, of course, a good day of working on my martial arts basics is a must!
5. What advice do you have for young martial artists?
Follow your dreams! I was always told I wouldn't be able to trick like the boys, win certain titles, etc. and I did that all! I was the first female to throw a few different tricks and I hold titles on the NASKA circuit that neither males nor females have been able to beat. So when someone tells you that you can’t, do it and prove them wrong!
6. What are three things you can’t live without?
My family. Friends. Staying fit.
7. What movie can you watch any time?
Bad Boys 2 or The Devil Wears Prada!
8. Which song/artist gets you ready for a workout?
Oh, tough question! Right now, I’m very much into the EDM music world, especially when it comes to a workout! My favorite artist is Marshmello. But I love all genres of music.
9. Where’s one place you’ve never been, that you’d love to visit?
I’d love to go to Maldives. I love the water and beautiful beaches and I think this place is absolutely beautiful.
10. Who are your role models?
My parents. They always have been and always will be. I constantly learn so much from them. They are both the most amazing parents ever!
11. What’s your go-to method for relaxing at the end of the day?
Hot shower. Scrolling mindlessly on my phone. Watching TV.
12. What food could you eat for the rest of your life without getting tired of?
Beyond Meat. It’s a vegan hamburger substitute that tastes just like the real thing (better, actually!).
13. What’s your favorite piece of clothing you own?
Leggings. Those are my go-to piece of clothing, part of all my most comfy outfits, and perfect for either a day out or a workout.
14. Which season is the best for being outside?
15. If you could have a superpower, what would it be and why?
I would be able to fly. This would make it so much easier to fly home and visit my family and friends whenever I wanted!
16. What is the most important advice you’ve ever received?
“Be honest. Be honorable. Be yourself. Be happy.”
17. What are your favorite Century products?
Well this isn’t a fair question because I have so many! Ha! But to name a few: Versys VS. 1, Traditional Curved Sword, Brave Boxing Gloves, and Medicine Ball.